Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My research book


To be frank, when we were told we had to do a research paper I was mortified. In the first week of classes I was already being bombarded by all my other proffesors over tests and quizzes that were coming up very soon. My first instinct, though childish, was to choose the shortest book I could find, so I would not have to stress about finishing it so much, since I tend to take my time with reading. I thought this way i'd be able to handle all my classes with ease and maybe even have time to read the book that I actually want to finish, Infinite Jest, which has been gathering dust in my house since school started. However, looking through the books I realized what an opportunity this research paper really was. I began to think of this research paper as a means to really further understand language, more so than what an oversimplified textbook and condensed course could teach me. I figured I needed to find the book that would coincide with what we learned in class, as well as enhance other areas of the subject. First I considered that baby book everybody else in the class and their mother have chosen so far, the scientist in the crib, it had many good reviews and the overall consensus of those reviews was that it was a fun read. However, I felt that just learning how babies learn language or anything related to that was not enough. Even though, as a psychology major who wants to go into education psychology, I will probably have to learn a lot about that topic, I wanted to find a book that also contained information on how babies learned language, but more so about language in general, a sort of language reference book. I found exactly what I was looking for in The Language Instinct How the Mind Creates Language, by Steven pinker. This book excited me because it was about language described almost like a journey through all aspects of language. This book is like a scavenger hunt to find the true origins of language whether it is from some genetic making when we are born or if we just acquire it from our environment. This book not only discusses how babies talk but also how people make sense of what their talking about. This book even further dives into neuroscience, going into all the language centers of the brain and genes that might be responsible for controlling grammar and speech. I am excited for what I will learn through this book and what I will learn from the rest of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment