Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Option #3 "Dr. Jerskey Has a Bad Day"

Dr. Jerskey Has a Bad Day
In the lobby of the C building
(Jonathan rushes to get to class and hits Dr. Jerskey waiting for the elevator)
Jonathan: Sorry Dr. Jerskey!
Dr. Jerskey: It's fine Jonathan...why are you in such a hurry? Class does not start for 10 minutes.
Jonathan:Oh really? (checks watch) No, I don't think so...My watch says its 1:10...(Shows Watch)
Dr. Jerskey: Well (laughs) I guess its a little late because my watch says (looks at watch)...12:30...My watch must have stopped! Oh no, I hope everyone is still upstairs!
Jonathan: Yeah I think s...(school guard interrupts)
School Guard: I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but we have an elevator malfunction so please use the stairs until we can get them fixed.
Dr. Jerskey: Oh well, this is just great!
Jonathan: Ohhh it's not so bad, we usually walk up the stairs anyway!
Dr. Jerskey: (sighs) Sure, you're right, lets go upstairs.
(walking up the first floor)
Dr. Jerskey: So Jonathan, what did you think of Cosette's presentation?
Jonathan: Oh...I really liked it, I thought it was really interesting! Her book, The Language Instinct, seems to have a really interesting theory.
Dr. Jerskey: (laughs) Oh, really?
Jonathan: Yeah....I agree with it. I mean I think learning a language is pretty hard, you know? It's hard for anyone of any age to learn a language, their must be something in our brains that help babies along to learn it, otherwise it wouldn’t make sense.
Dr. Jerskey: (stops walking) Don't be silly Jonathan, don't believe blindly believe his theory, you honestly think there is this secret part of our brain that helps us understand language and help us create it? If there was, why hasn't anyone found it yet?!
Jonathan: Well, I don't know Dr. Jerskey they are finding more and more about the brain everyday, but their seems to be a lot of evidence to back that pinker guy's theory up.
Dr. Jerskey: What evidence?! You call his little stories evidence?
Jonathan: Well, hes a doctor and a very established linguist, I don't think he would just make stuff up without any merit. A lot of research went into his theory and he is not the only one who follows it, that Chomsky guy does too.
Dr. Jerskey: Just because he is a doctor does not make him smart Jonathan...
Jonathan: You're a doctor though, Dr. Jerskey.
Dr. Jerskey: That's beside the point! What real concrete evidence does he show that a direct link between this “instinct” and language exists!? That it is not just the child's ability to learn language through their normal thinking and comprehension? I think because he does not understand how babies could learn language that he made up this theory. Maybe he is just underestimating the power of the brain at that age.
Jonathan: But what about the children who speak creole when their parents spoke pidgin? How were they able to manage that if not for a born instinct, because if they just learned the language their parents spoke with no instinct, how were they able to speak creole?
Dr. Jerskey: Well, maybe they learned it from the public outside, who spoke the language perfectly?
Jonathan: But what about those deaf children? Who were only exposed to their parents pidgin sign language yet able to produce way more grammatical and correct sign language?
Dr. Jerskey: But...!
Jonathan: How are you able to explain how children, only exposed to motherese, are able to fit enough language knowledge to fit as much information as our own college linguistic textbook?
Dr. Jerskey: Well...!
Jonathan: And how would you explain language impairment diseases, how those people have perfect IQ in everything but language, but fail to understand how to make a plural. Or how some people can not even function in everyday society, yet they can speak beautiful language. How is any of that possible without their being some concrete entity in our brain that is responsible for our language abilities?
Dr. Jerskey:....I..(Carlos, Eric, and Carolina walk down the stairs along with the rest of the class)
Carlos: Dr. Jerskey?! We thought you were sick today, we waited all class for you!
Dr. Jerskey: Sorry guys...I'll make it up to you next class!
(everyone disperses besides Jonathan)
Jonathan: Well, its been nice talking to you, see you next class!
(Dr. Jerskey turns and starts walking up the next flight and stops)
Dr. Jerskey: Jonathan?
Jonathan: Yes
Dr. Jerskey: I'm still marking you late.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Cosette how creative!!! I would have never thought about doing it like that! It is very interesting to know that there is something in our brains, even though we dont know what it is, that helps us understand language. I liked the part about the children that speak "motherese" and that their language knowledge can be as big a textbook? wow! Nice job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Cosette, I really did not understand when you said that children do not learn their first language from their parents. is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh great job! During your presentation i found it interesting how we have a section somewhere in our brains that help us learn to speak and understand words.My question is similar to Luz's question,I didnt understand how a child wouldnt learn their first language from their parents....how does that happen? it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your presentation especially the part "it is the Brain" their must be something in our brains that help babies along to learn a language or more. I remember when my daughter was two years, she did not talk but she was able to understand both languages English and Arabic. And I think it takes so long for kids who are exposed to many language to speak because tier brain is processing and memorizing the new word and concepts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cosette,
    Not only did I enjoy the presentation that you gave in class, but I also enjoyed this little skit that you provided on your blog. The most interesting piece of information that really stuck with me is when you said that "humans do not need to be taught how to speak language, it is an instinct that occurs naturally." That line made me want to further explore language, and find ways that could possibly help me acquire language more fluidly. Oh and I love that I made it into your mini-play, I smiled when I saw that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Girlllll :)
    I thought your presentation was very satisfying, organized and well prepared. I was so excited when you were explaining that not only is it hard to learn a second language but it is hard when you speak a dialect of that specific language. To give an example, I was born in Guyana and in Guyana we speak English; however, it is broken or what some call creoles. I must say it was hard coming to the United States and having to transition to the many new terms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was suprized in your presentation. how smart are the children! they reproduce the language with grammatical complexity even though they learn choppy words. Am I right? ;;;
    is it really possible by instinct without teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cossette,
    I agree with the fellow classmates that you did an excellent job on your presentation. You seemed very confident on what you were talking about. For me, even if I have enough information of something to talk about, it would be very difficult to talk standing in front of a group of people.
    Talking about the book you said that the author of the book first talks about origins of language. When I think about languages the vital questions that keeps playing in mind are: How human languages developed in today’s form? And why are there different languages? Can I find these answers in the book that you read?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This girl is so creative... the tennessee williams female version.. I want to see if i can answer eric's question. i think what cosette meant is that people are pre-disposed to learn anything if he or she is put in a place where they have to fend for themselves. its really interesting how a human being can overcome the language barrier when living in a different language.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cosette, just repplying on your comment about my presentation, I would say absolutely! Children learn and develop different abilities through playing, in fact when you use music combined with a game or activity to teach a child memorize let's say the alphabet, they will not only enjoy it, but also remember it easier and the same applies for all words and phrases! making a child feel good and smart about their efforts is crucial in their development. Children always want to feel important, and we are to make them feel unique!

    ReplyDelete